The Humpback Whale pt.2/3
Pt. 2 Constraints: 7 colors (including white and black), 11"x17" poster size, limited font choice
Pt. 3 Constraints: 5 colors per frame, must be hand cut pieces then scanned.
Duration: 4 weeks (2 weeks each part)
Skills: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe AfterEffects, Storyboarding, Visualization, Rapid Prototyping
The Humpback Whale is one of the many endangered animals on this earth today. Located in the North Pacific, the Humpback Whale is targeted for its blubber which is used to produce oil. The excess noise caused by ships and airplanes compromises the animal's sense of direction as well. Taking this whale's endangerment status, this three part project hopes to inform the urgency of the whale's declining population as well as highlight the graceful and majestic nature of the animal.
Part 2 and 3 represents the animal through a variety of mediums: a 11"x17" poster and a hand-cut paper animation.
Pt.2: 11"x17" Poster
My iteration process consisted of choosing a color scheme and finding the best way to show the reason of endangerment. With a limitation on the color palette for the poster (7 colors including white and black), I first came up 2 very different color schemes: one that is predominantly blue and the other that is made up with is made up with pink and purple hues. I chose to build off on the color scheme with pinks and purples because I liked how unconventional the colors were associating with the ocean. One other thing I wanted to include in the poster were the highlights found on the surface of the water.
Final 11"x17" Poster
For my final, I improved the shapes of the highlights by making it more fluid to avoid it resembling fish. I also focused on creating depth in the level of details between the foreground and back. The white text stands out more in my final due to the extended purple silhouette in the background.
Pt.3: Paper-cut Animation (storyboard)
Starting the third part of this project, I started off by creating rough storyboards to see the different ideas I had on paper. the idea of having the camera angle face the surface of the water from below caught my attention as well as having a scene where the whale would swim close to the camera.
My research process consisted of studying the highlight found in water, common whale movements, and also the whale's anatomy. I broke down these complex movements into simple shapes so I can cut them out out of paper.
For my color scheme, I chose to stick to a similar color palette I used in my previous illustration. I individually cut out each water ripple with two colors, white and orange. The silhouette of rocks were represented with light purple paper, the same used for the body of the whale.
PLANNING FOR THE 2ND ITERATION
-Due to limited color constraint, using yellow and white to express water was an inefficient use of color since the two are very similar in shade. Use one or the other in the next iteration.
-Use a reversed technique to express the ripples in water. Individually cutting out the ripples causes my animation prone to bad craft.
Starting the second iteration, I changed the color of the frame as well as used a reversed method to express the water ripples. I experimented with more of the foreground in this frame and created more cutouts of my animal in different angles.
(experimenting with foreground)
One thing I wanted explore more was the way I could create depth in my animation. I explored the different options of expressing the foreground through different colors and the amount of paper layers stacked on top of each other.
Using the pictures in my sketchbook as reference, I used Adobe Illustrator to create a template of the whale at different angles for me to accurately cutout.
In my first animation attempt, I wished to show a scene where the camera was underwater looking up towards the surface. The camera would zoom out as the bottom of a boat and my name entered the scene. However, the orange cutouts, yellow circle in the back, and the way the water moved in this iteration was not communicative to the audience of its setting.
For my final, I wanted to change the angle of the camera based off of my last iteration. Instead of having the water ripples fill up the whole screen, I chose to represent the surface of the water towards the top of the frame. Using a scene from Finding Nemo for inspiration, I studied the way the movement of water and light was simplified. There was a shifting pattern in the way the water moved as well as the sun rays.
(final paper pieces)
(final key frames)